August’s Literary Challenge is going to be ‘County Mouse, City Mouse’. (I may or may not be combining something I really need to get done in order to get children’s book examples in my portfolio with this month’s Literary Challenge.) I promise that September will be back to your regularly scheduled programming with ‘Island of the Blue Dolphins’.
In the meantime, here’s a work-in-progress scan of an owl pickguard painting for my boyfriend (he’s an avid musician). It finally seems like I’ve found a solution for the whole ‘acrylic won’t stick to the plastic’ problem. There’s still a few hours of painting left, especially on the beak and surrounding feathers area. (Also, my pride requires that I let you know that the color is a little off in the scan -the eye got weirdly washed out and the orangey brown to the feathers became yellowy…)
Also, July was rather good to me. My artwork was hanging in a local cafe all month, and it resulted in a sale and also a feature on my art in a local magazine. I also had a positive ‘we’ll-get-back-to-you-when-we-have-a-suitable-project’ response from a larger publisher and another possibility for freelance. And I was commissioned to paint background stuff for a play, which was fun. And I got started on that owl pickguard sitting on the backburner for literally two years now. So, all-in-all, July was a success. Oh, and I helped my friend Anya find an apartment in town, too. We’re gonna be neighbors again!
Sketches of one of the characters - Elliot Windsor - from the book/story/graphic novel I’ve been working on, when I’m not doing literary challenges or freelance work. Still in the ‘learning what everyone looks like’ and the ‘first write-through’ phase of things, but the plot is all ironed out and ready to be put down on the page in script format. I’ll update with more (non-spoilery) concept work.
The end of June’s been a little crazy (had to hand-frame a bunch of pieces for exhibit in a local cafe, among other things), and the entirety July looks to be even crazier - I’ve been hired to paint sets for a play, and it sounds like I may have some other paying art gigs possibly in July, as well as some crucially important types of pictures I need to whip up for publishers to look at.
So, July’s Lit Challenge is going to be a bit subdued. It’ll probably only be a sketch (but I’ll have other stuff to upload for y’all). And, since it’s only going to be a sketch, might as well make it a fun one - Harry Potter.
My website’s done! Finally!! This isn’t a big deal for you wonderful folks following me on Tumblr as much, but it’s a big deal for me. It means I can stop banging my head repeatedly on web design and finally, finally, FINALLY send out my next round of professional postcards with a url to a website I’m not completely embarrassed about. Progress!
Embarrassingly enough, I’ve stepped over my own self-imposed deadline for May’s literary challenge. I really want to say it was all because I was busy with a different, much larger-in-scale project, and then away from home for the last bits of May and it just fell through the jumble, but I have to admit I was also mostly feeling frustrated with the piece for a large part of the month and went through too many redrawings and not one of them seemed right or even close to right. I’m going to allow myself some breathing room on this one (because I can) and say that I’ll finish the illustration for ‘The Graveyard Book’ before the end of the Lit Challenge year, and head on over to June’s challenge: folktales and mythology.