January’s Pick is ‘Mossflower’ by Brian Jacques
So, this is an idea I’ve been excited to start for almost a year now. I want to read more often, and I want to do more illustrations for the stuff I’m reading, hopefully with other people. So I thought I’d wait for the new year to start, to set a challenge for 2014. I want to illustrate a new book every month, and I’m posting each one beforehand in case anyone else wants to do it with me.
Here’s how it’ll work:
1) Each book spans from the first day of the month to the last day of the month, when everyone’s to post with the tag #Monthly Pick.
2) You don’t have to do a full illustration. You can do anything from a quick sketch of one of the characters to a full, ornate, color illustration.
3) You can jump in whenever you want, do as many as you want, and stop whenever you want. I’m going to do all of them, but no one else is obligated to ;)
4) If you don’t want to draw, you can suggest books! Books must be easily read in 2-3 weeks for slower or busier readers, in order to have half a month for artwork. This means that it will mostly end up being middle-grader and YA books - What were your favorite books to read as a preteen/teenager?
5) Artwork with excessive gore or smut will be placed behind a cut when I reblog it here, to keep the platform relatively clean for any younger participants/readers who may happen by.
That’s it! Happy reading! Happy drawing!
Mossflower due: January 31st.
December’s been a tumble into madness. Between moving (we’re still only half-unpacked), and working crazy holiday hours, plus all the holiday traveling between states we’ve been doing, I haven’t really produced any worthwhile artwork to show you guys. It’s going to settle down really soon, though, and I’m itching to get my pencil back in hand. (The first thing I’m doing in the New Year is gonna be to finally paint that owl pickguard I’ve been putting off for almost a year…)
Other 2014 goals include: more figure drawing, a children’s book, a working website, a first draft for my novel, t-shirt designs, monthly literary illustration projects, and finding a dog!